Friday, September 27, 2013

Double (or Triple) Check From Now On...

After watching 'The Doctors' this morning on NBC, I'll be sure to double (if not triple check) my drinks when I'm out to eat. 

It was recently reported that New Jersey bars were replacing top shelf Scotch whiskey with rubbing alcohol and caramel coloring, and were using dirty river water in their drinks. 

After a year of investigations, 29 establishments were found to be engaging in this scheme to fool customers and increase their profits. 

The guilty bars and restaurants, including 13 T.G.I Friday's, face extended suspension times and outright revocation of their liquor licenses.

It makes me sick to my stomach to hear a story like this. These bars and restaurants were risking people's lives to cut costs and corners. 

According to the show, rubbing alcohol contains 91% alcohol. However, it is not the ethanol alcohol - or vodka -  we are used to drinking. It is isopropanol alcohol, which is incredibly toxic.

Customers who ingested the so called "top shelf Scotch" (or rubbing alcohol) will typically experience symptoms associated with drunkenness, such as slurred speech, euphoria, loss of coordination and dizziness. But if drank in excess, say a shot, more serious symptoms such as vomiting, seizures, unconsciousness, slow breathing, low body temperature and death can occur. 

To avoid constantly worrying about what's in my drink, I plan to be my own bartender at home - at least until this situation settles. 

Below is a recipe for Apple Cider Sangria that's on the top of my list to make. Check it out.


Ingredients:
1 bottle of Pinot Grigio
2 1/2 c. fresh Apple Cider
1 c. Club Soda
1/2 c. Ginger Brandy
3 Honey Crisp Apples, chopped
3 Pears, chopped

Directions:
Combine all ingredients together and stir. Refrigerate for at least an hour before serving. 


Enjoy! & Be safe!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! That is shocking to hear! I feel a little bit better that I haven't eaten (or drinken!) at a TGIFridays lately! I think I'll join you in having my adult beverages at home for a while. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete